Monday, November 28, 2005

Finding joy on a Monday morning

You know, it is times like this when our faith is tested. It would be so easy to become bitter, angry and turn from God and those you love the most. Our family is facing uncertain times, and honestly, it is a hard place to sit. The waiting is the worst part. Well, that and watching the man I love grow another wrinkle from stress and worry. The mornings are especially hard. His internal body clock wants him up and ready for work bright and early. While he sits in the dark, long before businesses open and the paper arrives, it gives him time to think. As we all know, it is during those times when you wish you could fall into a deep sleep and stay there until everything is fixed.

I try to be understanding. I try to be supportive. I've been able to dust off my administrative skills and make the paperwork aspect of job searching a bit easier for him. Still, I can't give him back his sense of worth and confidence. I try.

Our pastoral staff has been remarkable during this time. They have been men of honor and strength, encouraging Jeff - praying over him and lending an ear when he needs to vent.
For that, I am so thankful. For men, so much of who they are is tied into their work. It is a big part of their being. They find validation and respect from their work.
What is the first thing men ask one another when they meet? "What do you do for a living?"
The relationship grows from there. Odd, but true.

And, while Jeff has other men to rally around him - I am blessed with tremendous friends. They offer hugs, prayer and friendship. Many of them have experienced this very thing and understand my feelings. Their compassion is healing.

Back to faith for a moment. It would be great if we always looked to God for our validation and strength. It is He who is the ultimate provider, not some building that issues a paycheck week to week. It is He who loves us like no other and wants prosperity and joy. If we allow it, God can (and will) bring blessings into our life and be our rock on which to stand. It all sounds so good. So perfect. So peaceful. But....

We live in a broken world. We are human. We struggle. We worry. We try to control every minute issue in our life and when that doesn't happen, we feel stress. That isn't His plan for our lives. I often wonder if God is shaking his head at us saying, "Children, relax. I am here. I know how this all works out. Let me be me and you be you. Trust and obey."
Praise God for his patience because I know we test Him often.

So, as I sit here this morning listening to Christmas music and sipping my coffee -- I am choosing to find joy. We have so much to be thankful for in this world. We have six terrific children. We have a strong marriage. Our church family is a great blend of fellowship and support. We have our health. We have a warm house and food on the table. We have family that loves us. We have an awesome support system, filled with caring people that bring us laugher, hugs and friendship.
Thank you. Thank you for the many blessings. We know the true riches in this lifetime.

Oh, and I have to share this great quote from another blogging momma...
"Prayer...When life gets too hard to stand...kneel."
True. True. True.
If you want to read more of her gems, visit her site. It will bring you joy!
http://sophiacorbridge.typepad.com/sentimentsbysophia/

Now, let's find the joy today. Wrap it up and share it with someone else! 'Tis the season afterall.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home