Tuesday, December 20, 2005

That God of ours....


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

So, I had a few quiet moments to myself this afternoon. Blissful. I decided to clean off the den bookshelves. They get so dusty and I like the feel of books. They smell good too. (hey, I wasn't a bookstore manager for nothing in my younger days).

Anyway, before I started tidying up the area - I had been in prayer. Prayer over everything. You name it, I prayed it. Look what book literally fell into my lap. I kid you not! Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow. Here are some words from the back of the book:

If you're tired of worrying about all the "what ifs" in your life and want to experience the calm and contentment promised in Scripture. Calm My Anxious Heart is what you've been looking for. Filled with encouragement and practical help for overcoming anxiety, this book includes a twleve-week Bible study to help you discover what the Bible says about contentment and ways to apply it to your daily life.

I sat there, trying to remember where I found this book. I didn't remember purchasing it. I didn't remember picking it up at church. Suddenly, it came to me. When the boys were born (a high anxiety time - filled with trauma and worry) one of the ladies at church brought flowers, dinner and this book over to me one afternoon. I had intended to read the book while sitting in the hospital, hour after hour. Unfortunately, I never got around to the book.

Admittedly, I have been battling some anxiety issues ever since the boys were born. That whole experience knocked my world upside down and inside out. I feel things much deeper now. I worry more - especially over things I can't control. I have to literally re-direct my thinking and turn to prayer and my loved ones. It has gotten much better, thankfully. Well, it was getting better until this latest upset hit our world. I know. In comparision to sick children, a lost job is small. Hy head knows that....my emotions, not so much.

So, tonight, I opened the book and began reading. It was like salve to my soul. Here are the contents:

My Journey to Contentment -- Content with Circumstances -- Content to Be Me -- Content with My Role -- Content in Relationships -- Never Enough -- A Faulty Focus -- Worry Is Like a Rocking Chair -- Faith:The Foundation -- Trusting God with the What Ifs -- Trusting God with the If Onlys -- Trusting God with the Whys

I look forward to learning more about God's words for a calm heart. How about you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home