Monday, January 23, 2006

Monday monologue

Ever have one of those "perfect" weekends? The kind that you strive for each week, but seldom achieve? I did it. Two wonderful, bliss filled days. Jeff gets all the credit. I love my man.

He woke me up on Saturday with some coffee and the words, "So, what do you want to do today?" I looked at him through sleepy eyes and said, "Huh?" He just looked at me. Then it came to me. It was "my" Saturday. All mine. I had forgotten.

Back up a bit. As most of you know, we are a homeschooling family. I embrace our life and family choices, but because of our schooling option, that means I have the children 24/7. I love our children with every ounce of my being -- but I need a break from time to time! During the week, I take one evening to lounge in a hot bath with my magazines. I hit the water right after dinner and don't come out until it is time for the kids to say "good-night."

Every 4-6 weeks, Jeff "kicks" me out of the house for a whole Saturday. At first, I had a hard time finding things to do all alone. I also had to battle the "guiltomies" (mommy guilts).
After talking to some wise mentors, I dumped the "guiltomies" and realized the importance of this time. Not only do I enjoy this time -- I *need* this time.

So, back to Saturday. While I finished my coffee in bed, the kids came in to snuggle with me. We talked a bit and read a couple books. I reminded them that I would be gone the morning/afternoon and they said, "Yep. Dad already told us. We are going to make cookies and play games. Have fun, mom." Alrighty then!
I jumped in the shower and prepared for my day.

While walking out the door, Jeff slipped a movie pass into my purse. I've never gone to the movies alone. It just felt weird to me. Why? I dunno.
He knew I wanted to see Tristan and Isolde (and he didn't) so I accepted the pass with a smile. Armed with my Starbucks gift card (a Christmas present) and super cute boots and purse---I was off for the day.

I ended up at Jefferson Point, a wonderful outside mall. Normally, this place is pretty much off limits during the winter --- but since our winter has been hi-jacked in this area -- it was perfect.
A quick glance at the movie times showed that I had a little over 2 hours to spend in the shops! I hit some tremendous sales! For those on the hunt for a good bargain, check Ann Taylor Loft and Gap Body. I hit the jack-pot! Lots of cute jammies, sweaters and hoodies.
I walked through Bath and Body as well. They were having a major sale but it was so crowded I couldn't enjoy myself. The money saved wasn't worth the possible injury to my person.
Before hitting the movies, I went to Panera for an early lunch. Could their broccoli cheese soup be any better? I think not!

Next to Panera is a great shop called, Rustic Hutch. They have home furnishings and other goodies. I slipped in to take a look at the new Vera Bradley line. Ohhh...the Java Blue is gorgeous. I ran my fingers over the bags, remembered my budget and walked away. What discipline!

Movie time! I took a deep breath and walked up the the ticket booth. I gave them my pass and went inside. No turning back now! Honestly, it felt so strange to be in a big theater all alone.
I relaxed a bit when I noticed several other women all alone -- comfy in their stadium seating, quietly munching on snacks. I found my seat and popped open my Jones Tangerine soda. Ahh, what a treat.

Halt! You just know something off kilter had to happen, right? Here I am, in a huge theater that is *not* crowded. Who comes bopping in.....laughing and giggling? A group of 4 teen age girls. Where do these girls proceed to sit? Yep. Right behind me. Why why why? A quick glance around the room showed plenty of other seats.

I have nothing against teen-age girls. They can be sweet, funny creatures -- however I just knew this was not going to be a good experience. I tried to tune them out, hoping they would settle down after the previews. They talked on their cell phones (grr...) - slurped soda - belched (lovely) - kicked my seat - talked loudly and pretty much made a nuisance of themselves.

I was not amused. The minute Girl "I wear low rise jeans to show off my be-jeweled thong" explained, in detail, her Friday night sex experience...I let out a sigh and moved seats.
I'm pretty sure I heard one of them say, "What's her problem?" as I settled a few rows away.
I was half-tempted to "accidentally" spill my drink so it would gather around their pretty little flip flop covered feet. (Yeh, flip flops in the dead of winter).
I decided that my Jones soda was too good to waste and cleared my head.

The movie? Ah yes. The reason for being in a dark room with several strangers. I was there to see, Tristan and Isolde -- a Medieval Romeo and Juliet of sorts.


In the medieval legend of Tristan and Isolde, young lovers become doomed against the forces of royal politics. English knight Tristan wins the hand of the daughter of the Irish King, but the love threatens the truce between their two countries.
Genres:
Drama and Romance
MPAA Rating:
PG-13 for intense battle sequences and some sexuality
Distributors:
Twentieth Century Fox
The movie was good, but I'm glad I had a free pass. I don't think it was worthy of the lofty $7.50 ticket prices.
Once the movie was over I made a quick stop at Barnes and Noble for a new book and latte (Starbucks is inside BN) before heading home.
Sunday was filed with church and lounging. Seriously, we did nothing all day. It was wonderful. We watched Swiss Family Robinson, played Spite and Malice (card game), ate way too many cookies and took a nap!
And, here we are now. Monday morning. The sun is shining and my coffee is hot. A pretty good start to the week.
Blessings.
Note: What a wacky spell check. The system did not recognize "Starbucks" "latte" "Panera" "Barnes and Noble" or "Gap."
Fortunately, I know the spelling of these words.....they are half of my vocabulary......

2 Comments:

Anonymous CarrieB said...

What a fantastic weekend. I love your 'Mom's Day Out' tradition. How wonderful. Homeschooling must be incredibly hard work. Kudos to you. And to your family for realizing how hard you work and giving you a day out to enjoy yourself!

5:25 PM  
Blogger KKT said...

sounds fun! i love going to the movies by myself!! and broccoli-cheese soup from panera is soooo good!!!

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home