Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Patience

From C.R. Findley

Answers to prayer often come in unexpected ways. We pray, for instance, for a certain virtue; but God seldom delivers Christian values all wrapped in a package and ready for use. Rather he puts us in situations whereby with his help we can develop those virtues. Henry Ward Beecher told of a woman who prayed for patience, and God sent her a poor cook. The best answers to prayer may be the vision and strength to meet a circumstance or to assume a responsibility.

I came across the above passage while reading my devotions this morning. It got me to thinking....in a funny sort of way....I can recall pleading with God to help me with patience.

I remember two distinct times I uttered those words.
Do you know what our loving Father did for me?
1. We began homeschooling. Bam. Crash course in patience.
2. I got pregnant with twins and was put on major bedrest. Forced patience.
3. We had six children. No explanation necessary.

Like a petulant child, I no longer pray for patience.
Instead, I pray for wisdom and clarity. HA! Isn't it just like us to try and out-wit our Heavenly Father? I should know better.

God knows my heart (and weaknesses) and still passes me the occasional "pop quiz" on patience. I am happy to report, I don't fail quite so many tests these days, but I would love to improve my grade point average just the same.


2 Comments:

Blogger ~**Dawn**~ said...

sometimes it is rather fun to see what He can come up with to continue to teach us though huh? ;-)

6:17 AM  
Blogger Kym said...

Hi Kim, I saw a link to your blog on 2P's and have been reading. I couldn't help but comment on this entry today. I learned a long time ago NOT to pray for patience. There was one Christian lady I knew with a lot of 'stuff' going on in her life and she very firmly told us in a stern voice not to pray for God to give her patience. LOL

We homeschool too. Lots of great lessons there. :)

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home