Thursday, February 23, 2006

The Prairie Primer

I had a few moms email me about the unit study I am teaching for co-op. I am using The Prairie Primer by Margie Gray. What a fantastic resource! I taught Little House in the Big Woods two months ago with great success.
A few of my favorite memories from that class:
sugaring fieldtrip
making butter
forming corncob dolls
owl pellets

Our first class today for Little House on the Prairie went super well. The kids learned about Conestoga Wagons, mustangs and tasted unsulphured molasses -- which was greeted with hilarious faces! Next week will bring new adventure.

The Prairie Primer by Margie Gray Image hosting by Photobucket

A literature based unit study for grades 3-6 that uses the “Little House” series.
With this curriculum your student will:
Learn 1800’s American History
Do Pioneer crafts, cooking, and music,
Explore science and nature studies,
Improve writing,
Apply Scripture and increase character,
Discover health and nutrition practices,
Increase reading comprehension

For the next session, I plan on teaching from Plum Creek.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Oooh, thank you for posting this! I did ask earlier. It sounds so awesome and fabulous. I want to buy that book.

Thanks again and enjoy the class!

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Tammy said...

Never had unsulphured molasses, but I'm imagining the faces. And enjoying it quite a bit, actually.

Thanks for sharing.

4:46 PM  
Blogger KKT said...

your posts make me reminisce about all the plans i had when i wanted to be a teacher.

and... for some reason that computer game "oregon trail" just poppped into my head too.

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home