Wednesday, February 01, 2006

State of the Union

Did you watch the State of the Union address last night? We did. We watch every address given by the President, regardless of who holds the title. I think it is our civic responsibility. The older girls watched as well, which opened dialogue on a few topics. Always a plus!

I think it was a fine speech. He was brave and tackled several topics - line veto, immigration, border, terrorism, healthcare and education. That is a lot for 51 minutes.
I loved how he stared *right into the screen when speaking about Hamas (Palestine) and Iran.
He was making more than a speech at that point -- he was drawing the proverbial line in the sand.

On a side note, did you know that the US and other world leading countries donate millions and millions of dollars to Palestine annually? It is for re-building and Gaza Strip well being.
Now that Hamas is in control, a well known terrorist group, that money needs to cease.
No money to terrorists. None. Put those funds into our economy, schools and military.

I have to say, watching all of the "stand up, sit down" business reminded me of my early years in the Catholic church, sans the clapping of course. The whole room division was sad. Frustrating too! I know this type of thing has been around since the beginning, but it seems to have turned into a sporting activity. I was actually ashamed of some of my fellow Americans last night. The blatant disrespect was so obvious and childlike.

One of my favorite quotes from Mr. Bush last night was :
"Second guessing is not a strategy."

There was one area that I disagreed adamantly with the President. That would the No Child Left Behind Act.
I applaud the idea -- but it was flawed from the beginning. In my opinion, President Bush was caught between a rock and a hard place. If he said, "No" to this plan -- he would have been known as the leader who dismissed education. He said, "Yes" and he is blamed for the failure of the program. Tough spot.

So many people think more money is the answer. I disagree with that as well. Yes, supplies are necessary in the classroom and it is horrible that teachers are left empty handed, which in turn leaves the children without. That needs to be fixed. However, throwing more money at our current system won't magically repair it. They need to get back to the foundation and start building again. Our children are falling behind more and more with each passing year.
And no, I don't think it is all the "system" at fault. I think the parents need to share the responsibility. Until parents get it together and urge their child toward success....things won't improve.

*When I say system...I mean the whole government education system...not teachers. Teachers are doing the best they can with the circumstance they face.

Whew. Where did that come from? :: grin ::

Have a great one!
K.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

I only watched about half (living on the West Coast, it comes on at 6pm) but even this liberal, bleeding heart agreed with several of his points. Most espeically about our addition to oil.

2:31 PM  
Blogger KKT said...

for some reason, i didn't watch last night. i just wasn't in the mood.

but i read the entire speech. that counts, right?

6:52 PM  
Blogger msdramateacherlady said...

I didn't watch, way too tired when I got home from trying not to leave any child behind...and let me tell you, it was tough yesterday. After reading your account I look forward to reading the speech, especially the stuff about NCLB. Because from a public school educators point of view it a bunch of Whooey. I could go on and on, but I will shut up now. Hope you are all doing fabulous today!

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home