Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Stepping stones and gold stars

Image hosting by Photobucket

So, I grew up in a home where I was told (many times) that "I had a math block. It wasn't my fault. I just couldn't work with numbers. It happens to a lot of people, especially girls."

Yeh. I heard that, a lot.

In my mom's defense...so truly believed what she was telling me. She believed it about her own abilities and in her mind, she was helping me. If I thought I couldn't do it for "real" reasons, I wouldn't get so frustrated.

Needless to say, math was a constant source of anxiety in my high school years. I feel behind in 8th grade and never recovered. As you know, math is all about stepping stones. If you skip a few stones, the whole thing crumbles.

Enter homeschooling. When we decided to go down this path - the thought of math scared me. How was I going to teach math? Me?

Thankfully, Jeff had confidence in my abilities. I set out to re-learn everything I missed the first time around. What an eye opener!! It all makes sense now. Maybe it is maturity or desire, but I simply do not remember the concepts being taught in such a concise manner during my school years. Of course, if I were to be honest, I wasn't giving it my full attention either. Why should I? I had a legitimate problem with math. My mind "couldn't" grasp number concepts. It wasn't my fault. Remember? Urg.

Those words will never escape my mouth again! My children know better than to even utter such things. They can (and will) succeed in all areas of learning. Heck, they already are!

The picture you see is a tiny portion of math books used over the past 18 months. Em was working on her Algebra 1/2 when I took the picture, so her book is missing. Yeh. That's right...I am helping my daughter with Pre-Algebra. Where is my gold star?

:: smile ::

2 Comments:

Blogger KKT said...

you get a gold star from me!!

high school math was so frustrating for me... but now i love math. its part of my nerdiness.

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Gina said...

I think that changing schools can also have a big impact on getting all those stepping stones. Every school system teaches them differently and many at different ages. What an advantage your kids will have getting all those steps. :D

2:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home