Friday, March 24, 2006

$20,000 a year?

My girlfriend called me up this afternoon - "Kim, turn Oprah on, quick."
There was
a family on her show that spends $20,000 a year on dining out.
  • Instead of shopping for groceries and cooking at home, the Bradleys were
    eating out three times a day, seven days a week but all that's about to change.
    As Jean points out, the family can save $20,000 if they stop dining out.

I am all for enjoying a nice meal out. I am all for making life easier. However, $20,000 a year on restaurants? That simply does not compute.

Perhaps I am shocked because I enjoy cooking? My family are good eaters with adventurous appetites. I shop twice a month and fill, on average, two baskets each time. I budget $480 a month for groceries. Most months, I have enough left over for a quick trip to the scrapbook store!

When I have the time (ha) I will have to share my budget/planning/cooking tips.



8 Comments:

Blogger KKT said...

oh good gravy. where the heck are they eating?!

8:45 PM  
Blogger moe said...

I can't imagine eating out every day. I'd get so sick of restaurants. I'd crave a home cooked meal. And 3 meals a day? What don't they know how to boil water and pour cereal?

9:59 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Well you have me beat. I spend $800/month.

But the Boss demands a lot of meat. . .seriously, he can eat a pound a time with no trouble.

12:41 PM  
Blogger TulipGirl said...

Wellll. . . It comes out to just over $18 a meal for the family that eats out. While I wouldn't want to live that way, I can understand some who do. . .

My FIL is on the road for business for all but a few days a month. He eats all of his meals in restaurants while travelling. Most of the time my ILs eat out for dinner. (And my MIL usually eats only half of her meal, and often saves the other half for lunch the next day.) She's spent many years as a SAHM, with a very careful budget, making all their meals. . . And at this point in her life she's working alongside her husband in their business, and cooking at home is saved for special occasions.

Anyway, just another perspective.

8:47 PM  
Blogger wendy said...

Woe - that is amazing. I would love to see your budget plan and your shopping list.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Oh do please post about your grocery budget. I love reading how others make it work no matter what the sum. Ours is 500 a month and sometimes I beat it and sometimes I go over - uh oh. Would love tips. :)

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Jean said...

Oh, yes, groceries and budgeting have really reared their heads around here lately... We have been eating "organic" the past few years but I don't know that it's in the budget this year, even though we've done it as inexpensively as possible (i.e. buying meat from local farmers, veggies from a CSA farm...)

Hope you do find time to post how you manage your grocery budget. I need all the inspiration I can get.

Whew.

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Jean said...

This word verification to leave comments is a real kick. How in the world do dyslexics manage?

(having had to concentrate very hard, just now, to get the letters in the right order, to post the last two comments)

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home