Friday, March 24, 2006

Retreats, socials and monkeys - fun times!

I just realized, I never shared about E's first church youth retreat. It was last weekend. Her, and 58 other teens went up to the Amigo Center in Sturgis, Michigan. I was excited for her to experience the retreat, but I have to admit, watching my 'baby' ride away in that big bus for 2-1/2 days was tough. She arrived home tired but oh so happy! She talked and talked, sharing every minute of her time up in Sturgis. She also took pictures (that's my girl) but we haven't developed the film yet. It is so bittersweet. I see the young woman she is becoming and smile through the tears.

Speaking of bittersweet -- it is the teen social next month for our homeschool organization.

Why is it so hard to find a cute, in style but modest dress these days? Everything is strapless, low cut, super fluffy, or skin tight. The social is friend/group based and arranged dating is highly discouraged. The boys have to wear fitted pants and a tie. The girls must have straps on their dress, and the dress should be knee length or longer.

Tomorrow, Jeff is taking the boys to see Curious George. Perhaps the girls and I will go out to lunch and find 'the perfect' dress.

Have a great weekend!

edit: A few people have asked if we are Mennonite. No. The Amigo Center is owned by the Mennonites, but they rent it out to various churches in the area. I have several friends that are Mennonite. Beautiful people.

5 Comments:

Blogger mommy to four j's said...

good luck finding the perfect dress.When will the clothes industry realize that we don't want our girls to dress like britany spears.
Char

1:26 PM  
Blogger shannon dowdell said...

I know what you mean about the dress. My oldest is only 3 and already I find clothes that are completely inappropriate. I am not looking forward to her teenage years. Oh, and curious george - my bug loved it!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Perri said...

I hate trying to find clothes for Carly that don't make her look like a streetwalker. She has spent a lot of this winter in boys shirts. At least they are long enough to cover her belly.

4:45 PM  
Blogger msdramateacherlady said...

Good luck finding the perfect dress. If you can't find one with straps could she wear one of those cute little cardigan sweaters, you know the really short ones, over it? Just a sugestion, in case all else fails.

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a teacher and I am so glad that my students follow a very strict dress code. (White top, shoulders must be covered unless the heat is extreme, navy blu bottoms, they would be sent home if they came in a mini skirt)

I smiled when I read that the dress must have straps. Isn't that normal ? As a requirement, it seems pretty loose to me. I would have expected that shoulders would need to be covered. I think that what it is is appropriate and I find it ashame that that is hard to find.

H

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home