Friday, April 21, 2006

I beat the closet chaos!

Board games were multiplying in the closet. Nasty little things. Boxes were ripping, pieces were getting lost, the 'favorite' game was on the bottom of a crazy pile...on and on.

I was just about to ditch all of it into several trashbags when I had a brilliant idea. I got a Sharpie pen out of hiding, a box of big Ziploc baggies and a couple of big Rubbermaid containers.

I went to work. One by one I took the game pieces out of the boxes. If things were missing, in the trash, all of it! If everything was present, I marked the back of the board with a number. Then, all of the pieces, along with the directions, went into a baggie. I put the name of the game and corresponding board number on the bag. The bag was put in the Rubbermaid container.

I did this for 45 games! Before, the shelves could barely contain the boxes. Now? Perfection. The game boards are stacked neatly and the Rubbermaid container holds the bags.

I have a ton of extra storage for other things now. I need to figure out what to do with all of the puzzles. The boxes take up a lot of room, but the kids need the picture on some of them to help, yk? Suggestions?

I wonder if this organizing frenzy will carry over to the garage this weekend? Highly doubtful....

8 Comments:

Blogger LisaQuing said...

Hey Kim,

I've cut the covers off the puzzle boxes and placed the pieces and the cover inside a ziploc bag. For really large cardboard tops, they do make 2 gallon ziplocs, which should fit just about any puzzle box top.

I think I'll do that with my games too. I've done it in the past, but since then, we've gotten lots of new games. Thanks for the inspiration!

4:06 PM  
Blogger msdramateacherlady said...

In awe as always...I wish I had your energy.

4:27 PM  
Blogger owlhaven said...

Good for you!!
Mary

6:26 PM  
Anonymous HolyMama! said...

i'm a bit inspired and afraid all at once !!!

1:51 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

I'm dragging out my ziplocs TOMORROW. I'd do it today but it's Sunday. Crazy Sabbath keeper!

3:09 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

whoa! watch out! this is motivating! i bet it felt so so good to get that done!

7:30 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

Great idea!

I loath board games. Somehow, one or 2 pieces are always missing.

Will have to try this!

3:42 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

What? No before and after pictures??

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home