Wednesday, April 12, 2006

I'm no Oprah but...

Well, it appears that Oprah is voicing her concern over the condition of our school system. Bill Gates is joining the bandwagon.

While I am always happy to hear about change for students (in a good way) -- I am left wondering...does it *really* take Oprah to rally people in this nation? And if the answer is yes, how sad is that?

Maybe this will be the wake up call some parents desparately need? The level of apathy in some families is astounding. If a child is not taught respect, discipline and a good work ethic, is it any wonder why they struggle in school? Teachers are not miracle workers. They can't force a child to listen or learn.

Having said that, I think the biggest problem is government. Simply put, big government has no place in our educational system. If the red tape big wigs stay, we will have no choice but to watch the process crumble at alarming rates. This game of throwing tests and money at the system is just that, a game. A bad game.

Of course, people do have the option of homeschooling. Bring your children home and teach them how to learn, instead of what to learn.

9 Comments:

Blogger Lindsey @ Enjoythejourney said...

I blogged on this today as well. I will write more tomorrow after part 2 airs today...but until then my thought is this: You can throw $$$ at the schools all day long and it will not fix the problem.

Until we change our ideas about family, home, and culture, education will remain sorely defunct.

Liked your quote about it taking Oprah to wake up a nation. Sad indeed.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Faith said...

I plan to homeschool my little Man. We did public schools with the other four. Been there, done that! Won't go back!!!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Woooo Hooo Faith!
And can I get an AMEN on Kim's post?!!

6:09 PM  
Blogger owlhaven said...

AMEN

Mary

12:31 AM  
Blogger moe said...

I agree we need to value families role in raising kids. Here in Canada they want a 'National Daycare Program' Like they haven't screwed up our kids enough in school thay want us to hand them over when they're 6 months old. Aren't parents important?

2:30 PM  
Blogger KKT said...

there's a reason i'm not using my teaching degree. i never pursued it, because i just knew i would get overwhelmingly discouraged.

8:40 PM  
Anonymous ~SandyPea~ said...

Kim, I absolutely agree. I am proud to say we are a homeschooling family and loving every minute of it (ok...almost every minute :)

I used to teach in public school and it is a truly sad state of affairs.

I also find your blog about you and your family very inspiring.

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Marie said...

Not everyone has the "option" of homeschooling. For single-parent or low-income families who are dependent on their jobs to provide for the families, public schools are their only option, thus there is a need to reform it for those who have no other choice.

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. This is why I am a HUGE support of school vouchers. Oh sure the NEA is against it. You know why? Because they know they will have to stop sitting on their laurels and start TEACHING our kids (this doesnt apply to all teachers as their are still some out there who care!)

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home