Friday, June 23, 2006

Thanks for the memories

Have you seen this Life Poem template? If not, I urge you to take a few minutes and give youself time to write and reminisce.

For those that know me, you know my childhood was, at best, rocky. You name it, it probably happened. It is by God's grand grace that I sit here today with my heart and mind.

When I first read through the template and examples I thought, "Well. I can't do this. My 'this is where I am from' story isn't pretty. It is too messy."


But then I started thinking, "There were a lot of good times too!" I sat down and started to list them.

Memories of long summer days. Cousins. Oh, lots and lots of cousins. Lovingly prepared food from Nena. Homemade blankets and slippers. Sledding and tree climbing. Exploring streams, lakes and campgrounds. Horseback riding, tractor pulls and playing in the mud. Country fairs and dusty old antique markets. Long drives, lots of sights and many stories. Catching fireplies in mayo jars, making apple cider and chasing the dogs through the fields. Herding cows, feeding calves and gathering eggs. Playing hide and seek in the cornfields. Spending lazy days in my room, reading books from Grandma and listening to the radio.

That is some good stuff! I am both surprised and thrilled at how easily the thoughts flowed. I thank God for this progress. I don't know if I could have reached the same conclusion a few years ago.

I Am From
I am from a small town where the cows outnumber the people – where there are just as many bars as there are churches.

I am from old houses with wood banisters, great grandmother’s bed and kitchen tables covered with jars of strawberry jam.
I am from the blackberry bushes, concord grape vines and crabapple trees.

I am from stubborn women and defiant men.

I am from “Don’t come home until it is dark outside” and “Do as I say, not as I do.”

I am from the church my parents were married in.
I am from “Jesus loves you” and confused hearts.

I am from pastures, streams and trees – home to farmers, factory workers and tired dreams.
I am from Friday night fish frys and curly Q french fries.

I am from the World War II service of my grandparents.
I am from men who served in Vietnam.
I am from patriotic souls who understand the cost of freedom.

I am from heartache, turmoil and adversity.
I am from determination, laughter and strong work ethics.

I am from small wooden porches, picture lined hallways, dirt roads and crazy family gatherings.

3 Comments:

Blogger Perri said...

I love it. It's great that you can see all of the many blessings through the rocky times.

6:22 PM  
Blogger msdramateacherlady said...

That was beautiful!

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Stacy said...

I found your blog through your comment on Amy's blog (Humble Musings).

This is beautiful. You are a gifted writer.

Blessings,
Stacy

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home