Sunday, July 02, 2006

Sunday snippets

Random thoughts:

  1. Church was incredible this morning. Very powerful. I always get something out of worship and/or the message, but this morning God's presence was strong. The worship team was on fire. The message was something I didn't realize I needed to hear, until I heard it. It was one of those mornings when you walk out of church -- ready to take on the world.
  2. We have had several storms roll through the area. One hit right before dinner. It sent all of us to the safe area of the house (downstairs, interior bathroom and walk-in closet). The wind was fierce. We had a good amount of hail. The rain was pouring from the sky. We also discovered a leak in one of the den windows. The propane grill went sailing through the backyard (really!) and the trampoline moved a good 20 feet. Our neighbors lost their canopy deck coverings and parts of their fence. In all my time here, this was the worst storm we have experienced. It was quick and strong. Our next house, wherever it may be, *will* have a basement!
  3. Tonight, Caleb said the blessing at dinner. He is 4. His prayer, "Thank you for the food in front of me. Thank you for my safe house. Thank you for my family sitting with me. Thank you for loving us. Please help us to learn about you. In Jesus' name, Amen." What a sweet little boy.
  4. I was going through pictures last night. I came across some pictures of the boys when they were in NICU. You know, it has been over 4 years since their humble start and I still can't look at the pictures without feeling anxiety, fear and pain. One of these days I really need to go through the journal I kept during that time and sort the pictures accordingly. One of my trusted mentors at church believes I have experienced a post traumatic syndrome of sorts after the ordeal. I suppose it is possible. I know things affect me a lot differently than before, which is to be expected, but the level of anxiety and fear are overpowering at times. It was especially bad about 2 years ago. I think my body finally allowed myself to recall everything and frankly, I just didn't like what I was remembering. Still, memories are a good thing to have -- it helps us to remember where we have been, and where we are going. And you know, to look at my active, mischievous, adorable boys now, I am reminded of His incredible mercy. For that I am thankful.
  5. Not sure what we are doing for the 4th of July. If you read this blog last year, you may recall the humorous (?) time we had during a fireworks show. I'm sure we are still a point of conversation among many people in the community. A screaming little girl, wailing twin boys, porta potty disgust and traffic jams are a fine way to celebrate the nation's birthday, right? The boys insist they are ready to watch the show this year. Gracey, not so much. She is adamant about *not* going to the park. I suggested earplugs. I suggested earphones with fun music. I suggested kettle corn and grape soda (okay, it's a bribe -- I admit it). No go. Unless something changes, Jeff will take the kids to the show and Gracey and I will stay home and watch a movie.
  6. Speaking of fireworks, what is with this state and fireworks? I swear, from June 1 to August 30, fireworks are as common as lightening bugs and grill parties. I appreciate a good party and playful fun, but after the 4th or 5th sonic boom in the neighborhood, night after night, I'm done.
  7. We had sweet, fresh, deep red cherries for dessert tonight! Superb.

Have a great one!

1 Comments:

Blogger Perri said...

I"m so with you on the prolonged fireworks night after night after night. It's like living in a war zone.

NICU memories are best apprecaited from afar. The farther they are in your past, the more thankful you are for them.

Caleb's prayer was awesome. He is being raised right and it shows!

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home