Wednesday, September 06, 2006

80's clothes = bad......80's music = good

So, I took our 4 girls shopping last weekend. We hit Old Navy, Macys, Children's Place, Kohl's and Target. Fun, if not exhausting, afternoon. If I were honest, I would throw in the phrase, 'freaked out', too!
Have you seen some of the styles lately? Do they make you cringe and turn the other way?

Okay. Back up a bit. Raise your hand if you remember the 80's in all it's gorey detail. (If you don't remember the 80's in detail, why are you reading my blog? You trying to make me feel even older? Stop it!).

Anyway, I had the original jelly shoes, skinny jeans (and legs to match), striped mini dress, mini skirts/leggings and off the shoulder sweatshirts. Throw in a can of Aqua Net and a banana clip and call it a day! You just described most of my wardrobe.

Why, for the love of all things good and beautiful do we need a re-visit of the above styles? Let's be honest, they weren't all that flattering the first time around. Yeh, I can admit that now.
Fortunately, my girls were not impressed with most of the new clothing fads, but E did take a liking to a denim skirt and black leggings at Old Navy. :: shaking my head ::

Let's make a deal (ha, a 70's memory) -- say 'no' to the 80's fashion; bring back the music of the 80's instead.
We rocked the music world! Check out Oingo Boingo, Duran Duran, Journey, and The Go-Go's.

10 Comments:

Blogger Kym said...

I agree with the 80's music but I say bring back the big hair bands!

Ugh on the fashion return. (Was it 'fashion' the first time?) I guess it was inevitable though after bell bottoms came back. You knew it was only a matter of time.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Mimi said...

Well, there are things about the 80s fashion that I did like, and I do like the skinny jeans look (so sue me) so much more than the awful low rider pants. Shudder.

And, the henley styles, and madras shorts.

But, the best part will always be the music.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I agree on some of the styles these days. My oldest is into the skirt with leggings here as well.
She also mentioned the other day that The G0-Go's version of Our Lips Are Sealed is awful compared to Hilary Duff's! How dare she?

10:25 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

I liked my torn sweatshirt but don't enjoy the visual of my own 14 year old in one. (Thankfully those styles haven't quite made it here!) I guess I can live with leggings under a skirt.
But when Kenz tried to leave for Church in jeans with a layered skirt over the top I was less than thrilled.

Please please just don't bring back the big hair! U2, Depeche Mode, the Cure, Erasure, etc we can keep!

1:50 AM  
Blogger mommy to four j's said...

Oh how I agree where are the white reeboks and slouch socks. I can't beleive my eyes its like a horrible 80's film. Have a great weekend. Char

7:42 AM  
Blogger David said...

That is so true. The music rocked, the clothes were a crime.

7:44 AM  
Blogger suburban mom said...

I don't know...I think flares are way worse than skinny jeans... ;)

but yeah, yuck to most of it :)

12:37 PM  
Blogger KKT said...

sorry my friend... i love both!!

2:44 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

we should all be so embarassed! the music then was quite good though! great post! thanks for the blast from the past. :)

10:03 PM  
Blogger Lena said...

I was just in Claire's buying a pair of earrings for my maid of honour, and I was almost blinded by the array of Big Plasticky Geometrically Decorated earrings. In neon colours accented with black, no less.

The funny thing is, to my mind they wouldn't look right without a perm and a random ponytail sprouting from the side of one's head.

I concur, bring back the music.

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home