Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Caleb

When I first came back to blogging, I mentioned that one of the boys had some medical issues come to surface. Because I believe in the power of prayer and need the release of putting this in written word, I am ready to share.

Back in February, on Valentine's Day to be exact, our area was covered with snow. In fact, we had so much snow that day, Jeff's office building closed for the day. This turned out to be an incredible blessing.

We spent the morning lounging with hot chocolate and movies. During lunchtime, Caleb came up to me and said, "Mom, feel my heart. It is going so fast." I placed my hand on his chest and immediately called for Jeff. His heart was beating so fast. I can't even describe what it felt like, but I knew something was wrong. Caleb, despite the rapid heart beat, was breathing fine. He didn't seem too bothered by the ordeal.eff put him on the couch and took his pulse. I watched Jeff's face while praying. Jeff stopped counting and said, "We need to take him to the ER."

Admittedly, I lost it right about here. I wanted to go to the ER, but I was in no condition to make the drive, much less comfort Caleb - so I kissed him on the head and watched him drive away with Jeff. The waiting began.

Jeff called me about 45 minutes later. They were able to see Caleb right away and were very pro-active in getting his heart beat back down to a suitable level. At one point, they were going to administer a medication to 're-set' his heart, but it required a crash cart in the room for those 'just in case' times when the medication was too much for the body. Jeff said he prayed for answers and guidance while that option was discussed. The nurse was prepping Caleb for the injection when the doctor walked in and said, "Do not give the shot. I want to try something else."

Remember all of the snow I mentioned earlier? While it was a huge mess for our community, it proved a big blessing for Caleb that day. The doctor used a wash basin on snow to basically shock, and re-set, his heart. While Caleb was sitting up, Jeff held his hands while the doctor came up from behind and pushed Caleb's face into the basin of snow. You know when you jump into a icy cold pool -- your catch your breath real fast? That is what they did to Caleb. It worked like a charm.

Now that they had him stabilized, the set out to run several tests and call the pediatric cardiologist (the only one in town). All of the tests came back normal. The cardiologist's office was closed due to the snowstorm, but the ER doc and cardiologist talked over the phone for a good bit. They came up with the diagnosis of supra ventricular tachycardia, or SVT for short.
Caleb was prescribed a beta blocker and an appt was made for the next day with the cardiologist.

I didn't sleep much that night. My 5 year old son has this heart condition that requires medication to slow down his heart rate. I walked between our room and his room at least 15 times that night, stopping to pray over him each time. As for Caleb, he seemed no worse for the wear and talked about his ER visit with great excitement.

Back up just a bit. While waiting for Jeff and Caleb to return home from the ER, one of the pastors from our church called. He wanted Emily to come by that night for a babysitting job. This was the first time he has asked for Em's help and according to him, it was kind of a last minute thing. In the middle of arranging the babysitting, he asked, "So, how is your day going?"Without skipping a beat, I blurted out everything about Caleb and asked for prayer.
We prayed and within minutes of hanging up, I received a phone call from another church member asking me about Caleb, saying she had just visited the church website and noticed our prayer request. Bless our pastor. He called in the prayer warriors.

Back to the story, we headed to the doctor early the next morning. The office was kind and cheerful. Caleb loved playing with the cool toys and checking out all of the kid art work on the walls. Finally, the doctor arrived. He was quick to say, "Caleb is going to be okay."
He must have seen the visible relief wash over my face because he walked over to me and grasped my hand. That meant so much to me. He explained that the SVT is not rare and is a genetic issue. At a mere number of weeks, when Caleb's heart was forming, this situation. occurred. It can show at any time and we are fortunate that is happened at home, during a quiet moment, rather on the sports field or behind the wheel of a car.

Anyway, he told us that surgery is a viable option. It has a 95% success rate. They can go in through the groin area and using microwave technology, 'zap' the little area on his heart that causes the rapid heart beat. However, at this time, Caleb is doesn't weigh enough for surgery and they think it would be better to keep him on the medication for at least a year; with follow up visits every 4 months for monitoring. He also ordered an echocardiogram for the following week, just to check the structure of the heart and surrounding area.

We had the echo done and were told, "Everything looks essentially normal." When questioned, "What does essentially normal mean." we were told that one of his chambers is on the high end of normal for size. It is not causing the SVT. They would repeat the echo in about 12 months. Until then, come back in May for a follow-up and go about living life.

Through all of this, Caleb was covered in prayer via church, family and friends. A peace had finally washed over me. Caleb is handling the medication with no troubles and has had no further episodes.

Which brings us to yesterday.
The cardiologist called Jeff to verify C's appointment time for next Monday. The scheduler also said, "The doctor wants to do another echo at that time as well, so please come an hour earlier." Jeff said, "Excuse me. This is new information. Does it say why they are doing this procedure?" The scheduler didn't have those answers. Jeff hung up and called me with the news. The peace I had been feeling was pushed away by the enemy of fear.

I called my close friend and told her about the phone call. She was sweet and helped me to calm down with His word. Mandy, if you are reading this, thanks again!

So, here we are today, May 8.
Caleb goes to the doctor next Monday morning. We are asking for prayers. We are praying that God's will for Caleb is brought forth through healing, peace and mercy. We are also praying over the medical caregivers - that they are compassionate and thorough in their work.
There is a chance that we may have to transfer care down to the Children's Hospital (2 hours away) and if that is the case, I pray for His hand to guide the way.

Through this storm, God's love has been present. On a day when Jeff should have been working, he was home. Thank you, Lord. While the snow created mass headache for the general area, is aided in Caleb's relief. Thank you, Lord. A phone call comes in at just the right time and prayers begin to flow. Thank you, Lord. When the doctor takes a minute to make eye contact and comfort with touch, I say, Thank you Lord. When the safety net of family, friends and church are there to catch you, I say, Thank you Lord.

I will update after the doctor visit next week. In the meantime, say a prayer.
Thank you.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Praying, Kim!!

9:59 PM  
Blogger Lena said...

Kim -

This post brought me to tears. I am so thankful that circumstances were on your side. Fear and uncertainty can be so consuming - I find your strength and your focus very inspiring.

I am praying hard, first and foremost, and also send you many, many {{hugs}}. We will be thinking of Caleb and of you all.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Mimi said...

Yikes! Kim, my heart was in my throat as I read this story. Lord have Mercy.

Be assured of my prayers.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Barbie said...

I am praying Kim!!

11:49 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

I already prayed right after reading this, and will continue to hold you guys up!

Hugs to you all!

1:27 PM  
Blogger Miriam said...

Kim, thank you for sharing your story. We will be praying Monday...I actually have a cardiologist appointment that day too, so that will be an extra reminder. :)

Blessings on your dear boy, and especially his heart. And, peace to you.

(((Kim)))

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home