Friday, January 25, 2008

Do you Bento?


Raise your hand if you remember the 80's iconic movie, The Breakfast Club. If you didn't raise your hand, kindly leave the blog. :: smirk ::

Anyway, in the movie, Molly Ringwald's character, Claire, is preparing to eat lunch. She pulls out a pretty box and proceeds to eat her meal with chopsticks. I knew I was intrigued by the artfully prepared lunch, but chalked it up to "Hollywood" stuff and didn't give it much thought. That was, until about 3 months ago.

I was reading through a couple of magazines and came across the cutest lunch ideas for children.
Basically, you tried to use loads of colors and shapes for the meal and place them in a reusable container. The good people of Japan have mastered the art of Bento and I'm told the stores are stocked to the brim with all sorts of containers to aid them in the process.

My kids are pretty adventurous eaters and like to try new things. I love to cook and create, so this seemed like a wonderful idea, especially in light of our hectic schedules. On a trip to Target I found some durable containers (Fit & Fresh and Snapware) that work well for my Bento attempts. You can use all sorts of items to help separate, hold and mold -- small Rubbermaid pieces, empty spice bottles, toddler snack cups, cupcake liners, etc. You are only limited by your imagination.

Earlier I mentioned that Japan has been using this method of eating for ages and my forever friend, who happens to live in Japan, is going to be my 'supplier' for the real Bento goodies. I am so excited!
In the meantime, for those still interested in the process, here are a few links that may prove helpful....
1. Lunch in a Box
2. Bento Yum

You can run a web search and find tons of ideas.
Another plus to this way of eating -- portion control! I'm all over that!


4 Comments:

Blogger oceans5 said...

I really like this idea. I may have to try it for my kids. Thanks:)

8:32 PM  
Blogger msdramateacherlady said...

I love my Laptop Lunchbox! I have been using since October and always get comments on it.

8:43 PM  
Blogger KKT said...

Ahhhh... The Breakfast Club. *Sigh*

Hehe... I love the idea, but know myself too well. I'd be figuring out what kind of patterns to make with my M&M's. *giggle*

I know Carrie B has posted about Bento in the past. Her link is on my blog (her blog is called "Blah Blah Blog")

5:12 PM  
Blogger Mimi said...

I have to admit, bento boxes aren't my thing. But, I giggled at the Breakfast Club reference.

Anyway, enjoy!

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home