Monday, April 14, 2008

I've been a parent for 15 years. I have 6 children. What have I learned?



1. Keep your marriage a top priority.
2. Set a good example. When you fall (and you will) - be quick to apologize.
3. Catch them being good - in other words, be pro-active instead of reactive.
4. Age appropriate chores are good for children.
5. House rules are a good thing. Make sure everyone understands the rules. If you have more than 5 rules, check your motives.
6. Talk with your children about issues. Even better? Listen to your children talk about issues.
7. Share your dreams and expectations for your children. Make sure they understand God's love for them. He has immense plans for them, too!
8. Pray, play, and read with your children.
9. Encourage involvement within the community and church.
10. Teach them to solve real problems.

I don't have all of the answers - my parenting journey is far from over. I pray that my heart remains soft to His training and inspiration. He is merciful and patient with us, thankfully.
I also realize that in many ways, the children teach me far more than I could ever begin to teach them.

Be blessed.




3 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Very good rules for mothering. It's so hard, isn't it?

7:45 PM  
Blogger *~Tamara~* said...

AmenX10.

:-)

2:46 PM  
Blogger Tena said...

love your rules!!!!!! I had to do number 2 yesterday, humbling experience to say the lease!

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home