Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A May meme

Tamara over on Noble Character tagged me for this spring-time meme. Thanks, Tamara!

Favorite person (outside family): Oh, I don’t think I could name just one person. I really do enjoy people and make friends easily.

I do have a very special place in my heart for my best friend, Gina. We have known one another since 7th grade. We have been through the gamut of emotions and experiences. She lives in Japan now with her military hubby and 4 daughters. Thank goodness for email! Gina, if you are reading this -- hugs and smooches!

Favorite Food: I enjoy Mexican food the most. I have to say though, after living in Southern California, I have become spoiled. Try as they might, the folks here in Indiana just don’t get it quite right. There are few places that come kinda close, but I dream of the fresh corn tortillas from the little markets in Tustin. Fortunately, I have retained a few secrets and can make a mean batch of enchiladas and fresh salsa. I’m trying to learn how to make tamales, but they are a true art form.

Quirks about me: Perhaps my husband or children should answer this question? :: smirk ::

I have a wide range of music tastes. In my van right now you will find, in no particular order, Bon Jovi, Michael Buble, Reba McEntire, Toby Mac, Journey, Cece Winans, Chris Rice, Rascal Flatts, and various soundtracks (Notting Hill, Footloose and The Big Chill).

I start more than one book at a time. I finish them, too!

When I pump gasoline, I have to finish at a zero. I can’t have odd cents. This drives Jeff crazy. I don’t know why – it keeps the checking account neater.

I cannot stand dirty fingernails but I love to garden. Thank goodness for gloves and soap.

I can touch my tongue to my nose. The kids think this is so cool.

How would the person who loves you most describe you in ten words or less? (Ask them.) Jeff used the following words, “feisty, caring, intelligent, beautiful, devoted, crafty, passionate, busy, loving, and quick-witted.”

Any regrets in life? Yes, unfortunately. They happened long ago.

Favorite Cause/Charity: I feel deeply about many things. For a long time I was very involved in Le Leche League and peer support groups. I also did some work with preemie support networks. Now, I do what I can to help the community via our church ministries. We have a tremendous outreach for food, prayer and teaching. We also lend financial support to the USO.

Favorite Blog Recently: Oh, there are so many WONDERFUL blogs out there. I have a new favorite almost daily. Right now, I am really enjoying Pink Icing on the Cake
and One Woman's Cottage Life.

Something you can't get enough of: Books, music, hugs, drives in the country.

Worst job you've ever had. It was my very first job at the ripe old age of 15. I worked at Taco Bell. I lasted 2 shifts. It was horrid. I smelled like an onion and looked ridiculous in the brown polyester clothes. I could tell you a few things to make you never want to go there again….

What job would you pay NOT to have. Hmmm….I don’t like stinky, gooey things so anything to do with garbage/sewers would keep me away. God Bless the hard-workers that do these jobs though!

If you could be a fly on a wall, where? I want to sit in Laura Bush’s office and follow her daily schedule. I would also like to sit in on a cabinet meeting with President Bush, C. Rice and other top leaders. What is really going on? I want to be in the backrooms of the Senate and try to figure out why they keep ignoring the will of the people on so many issues.

Favorite Bible verse right now:

“Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.” Psalm 37:3-4

Guilty pleasure? Dark chocolate and red wine. Hey, they both harbor health benefits so it’s all good.

Got any confessions? If I could join the Amish district with relative ease – I would give it a whirl. What you wanted something juicier? Too bad. :: smirk ::

If you HAD to spend $1,000 on YOURSELF, how would you spend it? Super fun rental car and ROADTRIP! I would stop at all of the Starbucks, blare my music, take loads of pictures, and hunt down fabulous antiques.

Favorite thing about your house? The master bedroom/master bathroom. They are comfortable, pretty, and quiet. My bathroom has a big ol’ tub that is my personal retreat most evenings.

Least favorite thing about your house? I would love to be out in the country a bit more. I would also like a basement.

One thing you're bad at: Talking on the phone. I really don’t like doing it.

One thing you're good at: Loving and laughing

If you would change one thing about your circumstances, what? I pray daily that Jeff will have a more fulfilling work experience.

Who would you like to meet someday? Beth Moore, Condoleezza Rice, and Fred Thompson.

Who is your real life hero? You know, I don’t really have an answer to this question.

What is the hardest part of your job? The monotony can be very draining

When are you most relaxed? After a long bath and the house is quiet.

What stresses you out? When the house tasks get out of hand and I can’t get caught up easily. It is like a vicious cycle at times.

What can you not live without? My husband and children – knowing they are close and well.

Do you agree or disagree with the recent article that reported that blogs are authored by narcissists? In some ways, I agree. This medium has the ability to feed the hungriest of prides. Having said that, I think we all share the common goal of wanting to be heard, even if it is on a colorful blog entry. I think those that blog with caution and humility have an awesome ability to reach out in love, joy, humor and kindness.

Why do you blog? Initially, it was a great way to stay in touch with far away family/friends. I still believe that to be true, but in the last 18 months or so, it has become more of a personal journal/family timeline. I am lousy at keeping a written journal (though I keep trying) but for some reason, I have no trouble jotting down regular items on the blog. Once a month (or so) I print all of the entries and place them in a binder. It is a nice way to keep track of everything.

*****
I am terrible at tagging others but if you decide to do this meme -- let me know in the comment area so I can visit your blog. Thanks!


3 Comments:

Blogger Tena said...

I swear I am the same way when it comes to gas, although I must admit I can't remember the last time I pumped gas. I am more of the leave the car with the gas light on type of girl, especailly when I know Jim will be the next one using the car
HA HA HA!!

10:25 PM  
Blogger MacCárthaigh Family said...

Hi there,
Tamara tagged me and I must say I enjoyed taking part. Liked how you answered the question about quirks!!!
Ruth

10:15 AM  
Blogger *~Tamara~* said...

Ha! It sounds like you and I should spend our $1000 together! :-D

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home