Monday, May 19, 2008

Team work = amazing results

We had an odd thing happen this weekend. Everyone was home! We made the most of this valuable time and slipped on our team work caps. It is amazing how much the 8 of us can get done when we share the same goal.

We decided to put in a larger garden this year. Before, we had a small 6x6 square for tomatoes and herbs. It was nice. This summer, we are going bigger. Much bigger!

We started with lots of seeds about 6 weeks ago. We babied them daily. Here is Paige watering them several weeks ago.

Last weekend we started the tilling process. What back breaking work. Jeff and I took turns. We also let the kids help but the machine was loud and menacing, so they needed dad there to stabilize things. We tilled the area about 8 times. I found muscles that I didn't know existed.


This is what the area looked like when we were done tilling. We have a lot of clay in our soil which is not garden friendly. Jeff bought wood to raise the bed and we had 2 tons of dirt delivered to fill it. Yes. Two tons.


See? That is what 2 tons of dirt looks like in your driveway. All of that dirt had to be carted to the backyard. Shovels, wheelbarrows, and buckets were constant companions. The dirt arrived early Saturday morning. By 6 in the evening, every speck of dirt was placed in the veggie and/or flower gardens. We worked so well together! I am proud of the kids.


The raised veggie garden complete with seedlings in place is shown here. We have lettuce, corn, broccoli, tomatoes, peppers, green beans, squash, carrots, potatoes, cucumbers, beets, and onions. In the mound of dirt outside the bed, we have watermelon and pumpkins. I've never had success growing melons or pumpkins but the kids were insistent that we try. So, we are trying.


Yesterday I dug out this old wooden lounge chair from the garage. It is from our Belmont Shore days in California. It has seen better days. I sanded it down a bit, wiped it clean and primed it.

This is the end result. It looks great on the porch against the yellow house.

Behind the chair you can see our front flower garden. It lines the living room windows. All of the flowers in that bed are white or purple (I have a thing about coordinating my flowers). The big bush like plant you see is lavender. It smells so good. Look at these little guys --- you can't help but smile, right? Have a happy day!

6 Comments:

Blogger oceans5 said...

WOW! That looks great. I bet the kids had a lot of fun helping out. Beautiful garden!

1:42 PM  
Blogger *~Tamara~* said...

Wow! I'm impressed. And I know exactly what you mean about finding muscles you didn't know existed. I found a few of those in recent weeks. My garden is coming along great...it needs to be bigger though. I didn't get to plant any vining plants, or corn. *sigh* Technically there's still time for those, but our schedule says there isn't!

Btw, I'm tagging you for a meme. ;-)

4:05 PM  
Blogger Tena said...

Great job! Can't wait to hear that things have started to grow!

6:44 PM  
Blogger MacCárthaigh Family said...

Hi there, Today Tamara tagged me so I am just checking out your blog.
Looking forwards to reading your answers to all the questions!

That's a lot of hard work you guys are doing in the garden but very satisfying.
Ruth

6:14 PM  
Blogger msdramateacherlady said...

Looks wonderful, I can't wait to see what it looks like when everything starts to come up.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Tami said...

Kim,
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I stopped by yours and am enjoying it very much. Beautiful garden! Have a blessed week. In God's Love, Tami

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home