Friday, July 04, 2008

God Bless America


Here's a bit of trivia for you.
Our actual date of independence is July 2, 1776.
It was on that date that our Founding Fathers, the Continental Congress, voted to be independent, knowing full well the turmoil ahead for our beloved country.

July 4, 1776 is the day the Declaration was signed by the congress.
It is said that John Hancock wrote his smack dab in the middle of the document in very large font so that the King would not miss his name.
Thus, the saying, "Put your John Hancock on this line, sir."

Happy Birthday, America!


3 Comments:

Blogger Jody said...

Oh cool, I didn't know that!

We will be studying American History for a year in our homeschool starting in January, and I can't wait. Lots to learn and fun things to do.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Lena said...

Happy Independence Day! I am Canadian but I have strong American roots on my mother's side...I have a red, white & blue candle that I burn every July 4 in that honour. Hope your day is glorious!

10:40 AM  
Blogger Holly Wood said...

Hope you had a great Fourth! One of my coworkers made us take a citizenship test on Thursday... your little piece of trivia reminded me of that!

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home